Wednesday 16 April 2014

1st attempt at Chalk Paint!

Well, after an epic fail to get a blog post up yesterday, I thought I'd give it another shot with my first experience of using Chalk Paint! When I started the Facebook page, Hilda by Design, I brought along a nondescript mug tree to one of my favourite Interior Stores nearby: Haven Interiors, Raheny, Dublin. I also brought along one of my favourite Orla Kiely mugs as there were plenty of colours to choose from, to try and 'match it up'. The lovely Michelle helped me look through their beautiful range of Spanish company Autentico's range and we chose 'Nautique'. Not an exact match for the more duck egg blue that was on the mug, but, in hindsight, I'm happy it doesn't match. So, 'Helpful Hints' sheet in hand, put together by Michelle, I was ready. Well, almost. I bought Sugar Soap wipes at my local Crown Paints store and Varnish at Homebase. Actually, the SECOND tin of Varnish was bought there as I wasn't happy with the possible finish that a Satin varnish may give me so I went for a Clear Matt instead. The idea being that I didn't loose the lovely texture of the chalk paint. I did loose some. I gave the mug tree 2 coats, using the Autentico brush I had bought from Michelle and saved a cheaper brush for the Varnish. Her hints were great: things like, leaving the tin of paint upside down for at least 20 minutes beforehand and wrapping up the brush in cling film to keep it wet. I varnished a few days later, simply 'cos I couldn't do it before then but i was really pleased with the results! I love the colourful mugs with the now, much less boring, mug tree! So, now I'm hooked. I salvaged an old garden chair the other evening so that's the next project! Catch you soon, I hope. In the meantime, you can follow me at 'Hilda by Design' if all things Interiors are your thing xx





4 comments:

  1. Congrats Hilda! Delighted to see you have started blogging! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Ketty! Keep on looking back at the notes from the 'Blogging for Beginner's' workshop! Look what you started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fab. Both blog and the finished mug Tree. You got great tips and techniques. Delighted for you. I am looking forward to seeing how your next project goes. Love that excitement and fulfilment a project brings. Best of luck:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! So far to go yet with the blog but hopefully I'll get better! Michelle actually advised me to water down the varnish (a water based one) 50/50 to keep the 'chalky' look so I'll be trying that next time! Such a small paint job compared to what you are doing!

      Delete