Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Great Interior Design Challenge: Series 2

Disclaimer: I started watching the programme just after 10pm, finished watching at 12am and I am writing this blog at 12.30am. Dedicated or Crazy - You Choose!
BBC2 started the new series of 'The Great Interior Design Challenge'   last night at 7pm and I was very eagerly awaiting it. This programme   burst on my screen last year and convinced me that a career in Design, in some shape or form {I'm still figuring that out!} was, well, forgive me...my destiny. I poured over each word, pausing the television, rewinding, taking notes. And last night was no different. Except, this is Nine Months on + I have spent this time self-teaching, started blogging and designing our own house.
So, Kids asleep,feet up with a cuppa and my cosy jeans on, I started to watch...
Bliss!
The properties last night were 17th Century Cotswolds Cottages in the Village of Bibury. The Series Presenter, Architectural Historian, Tom Dyckhoff, mentioned that a Design Hero of mine, William Morris was once quoted saying that this was "The most beautiful village in England" {1860's} and I'd struggle to argue with the man. 3 designers, Francesca, Scott and Fiona got the brief for members of the same family, who lived in neighbouring cottages. Here is an example {a screen-grab} of each of their Mood Boards:
Francesca...

...with her own delicate take on 'Shabby Chic'

Scott...

...with a Modern Twist on the Country Cottage

Fiona...

...a lover of Colour + Fabric, with an Industrial Edge
With Mummy & Daddy Design looking on, as they presented these to the Clients...
Judges and Respected Interior Designers,
Sophie Robinson + Daniel Hopwood
Francesca's mum is an Artist and her fluidity of Design reflected this Artistic background; Scott has an extremely Technical job and his Design was very precise and modern and Fiona has a Stunning house and designed this herself, with an Eclectic Style. During the programme we recieve extra information about the Architecture, background information about the houses themselves + Design Tips {...last night's episode nearly had me cracking open the Chalk Paint mid viewing!}. Each Designer is also given some kind of object to personalise & incorporate into their room: Last night's was a Floor Lamp. So, Who Won? What did the rooms look like? Well, here's a little Before & After but I'll let YOU decide who you thought should win {er, if you didnt watch it yet?!!}. First up is Francesca:
Beautiful Beams!

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Pretty Detail...

...and Family Treasures, Framed + Displayed

SCOTT'S BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

As the room was very Dark, Scott used a lot of different Light fixtures to brighten the space...

...and favoured a similar themed pattern throughout

FIONA'S BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

An Example of the Personalised Object: Fiona went for an Industrial Style with her Floor Lamp 

She converted a Coffee Table into a Foot Stool...

...and showed her knowledge of Colour + Fabric, with her use of Cushions in the Window Seat + Sofas
The next episode airs tonight and, I'm a little tired now but already I cant wait. The next group of Designers have the Challenge of showing their skills with stunning Beach Huts in Dorset.
If you are a Facebook Fan, keep up to date with the programme on the series' fan page at https://www.facebook.com/thegreatinteriordesignchallenge or if, like me {@mcevoyhilda}, you are a Twitter fan, #GIDC is the most fun way to follow + interact with the programme + it's Design Obsessed Fans!
I'll leave you with a lovely moment, when, Gillian, Francesca's Client, came in to her room. She said: "I've waited a long time for it {her own space}...MY DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE"
Well, if I can hear that from even ONE future Client on my Design Journey, I'll know I've chosen the right career xx The very best of luck to Francesca, Scott + Fiona on theirs!



No comments:

Post a Comment